In first year they scare you to death...Not sure where it came from, or who actually said it, but I have heard it many times. Funny thing is, it usually comes out of the mouths of practicing lawyers.
In second year they work you to death, and
In third year they bore you to death.
I am not completely bored, that's for sure. I have enjoyed our required courses this (all Uniform Commercial Code, ALL THE TIME!) semester, Secured Transaction (US/Canadian), Payment Systems (US/CDN) and Comparative International Sales (US/CDN/UNCISG). But yeah, compared to prior semesters of law school this one seems to be the snoozer.
I don't think this is due to the material, I think it has to do with just being tired of law school in general. Most of the 3L class worked this summer at firms of varying size, and we've been exposed to the day-to-day of the practice of law, which undoubtedly included hearing "you learn how to be a lawyer on the job," from many of our mentors and supervisors. So naturally, after hearing that along with having the experience of receiving an assignment on a Friday in a complex area of the law in which you did not take a single class and succeeding on Monday morning it's understandable to think these classes in 3L are fairly inconsequential to becoming a full-fledged lawyer.
Nobody is suggesting the classes are useless, far from it - they are very helpful to getting an overview of a particular area of the law. That said, a summer of work in the legal market sure puts it all into perspective, and somehow now, the shine is off the penny.
I still love being a law student, but it sure is hard to concentrate these days.
RW

No comments:
Post a Comment