Monday, May 5, 2008

Done 2nd year - weird!

As of Friday at 5:30pm when I uploaded my take-home exam I am officially finished 2nd year, Law II, 2L whatever you'd like to call it. It is definitely an odd feeling to be 2/3 of the way through this ordeal we call Law School.

Last year when I posted about being done (1st semester of 1st year) I felt exhausted and I couldn't believe how far my understanding had come.

At this point I still feel exhausted at the end of 2nd year, but the one difference is that I feel I had much more control over the whole experience. I have my plan, my system and I stick to it. It works for me and it seems to produce the results I want. Don't get me wrong my brain is still pretty tired but I have less worry about what comes next. Maybe I am just really happy I don't have to take summer school?!

For those unfamiliar with the JD/LLB program in order to complete all the required courses to complete both the US and Canadian law degrees in 3 years students take 2 summer classes in the summer between 1L and 2L. It's really not that bad, the classes are at night, 4 nights a week, but it is definitely manageable and it is possible to balance the school work with a research assistantship or other part-time job.

I must say it feels pretty good to be 2/3 of the way to becoming an American attorney and 1/2 way to being a Canadian Barrister/Solicitor (with articling in there, there is an extra year of course).

Watch for posts from students about summer jobs in NY and Toronto and we'll be welcoming a new contributor to post about summer school and the summer life in Detroit-Windsor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious,
there are a lot of rankings that put Windsor at the bottom of lists like th Law School Survey - placed 6th [which isn't that bad] - and the Maclean's survey places it at the bottom of the Elite Firm Hiring ranks, and the SCC ranks, and halfway down for national reach. What would you say about this? I understand that these statistics are not always accurate...
but employers, especially foreign ones look at these statistics.

On the way out... 3L said...

I have to say I am a little confused by some of the metrics used by Maclean's. But let me try to answer your question in segments:

-Elite Firm hiring ranks: Not really sure how Maclean's ranks this, but one thing that is certain is that because of UW's focus on "Access to Justice" a number of people aren't too interested in gaining employment in "Elite Firms".

-SCC Ranks: One of the hamstrings both UW and U of C have is being the youngest law schools in the bunch, which means we have a lot of catching up to do in order to get SCC clerkships. But, just this year (actually just 1.5 months ago) a Windsor student secured an SCC clerkship so we are improving our ranking in this category for certain.

-National reach - Hard to comment on this one. I know there are UW alums in all parts of the country.

There are opportunities for Windsor grads at the SCC, with the Elite firms and all over the country.

I hope that answers the question.

RW