Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Helpful Bar Review Websites (even for rising 1Ls)

Why yes, I am in the thick of NY Bar Prep, and let me tell you it sucks.

But, alas, it is a necessary evil if one wants to put these two degrees to work. So I thought it would be helpful to post some links to helpful Bar Prep websites/companies.

Kaplan/PMBR: The Kaplan you know and love from LSAT prep days. (Now offering FL, NY, NJ state prep as well).

Bar/Bri: The state-specific Bar Prep course for more than (40?) years.

National Conference of Bar Examiners The information page to find answers about the Bar admission requirements for each and every state.

You might be thinking, why do I as a 1L/2L or even an entering 1L have to begin thinking about Bar Prep now?

Well, for two reasons:

  1. The MPRE. If you are currently a rising 1L, you are taking Professional Responsibility and as a result you may be considering the option of taking the MPRE (Multi-state Professional Responsibility Exam) this August. If you do I suggest going to the Kaplan/PMBR website to take advantage of their free online MPRE course. It says it costs $199 on the website, buy it, and there is an automatic $199 credit when you checkout. (at least that's how it worked for me, and they are still advertising it). You get online lectures, a study guide and a bunch of real MPRE questions to practice with. Well worth it. With this course and about 15-30 hours of studying (course included) I think its highly probable that you will pass. I did. *NOTE* check with the state in which you plan to practice to see if they require this exam and how long scores are valid.

  2. DISCOUNTS & FREEBIES. If you sign up now (or in 2nd year) you generally get a locked in price and a bunch of additional study aids to prepare for the exams you are writing now.
CAVEATS/ADDENDA:
  • This site and the authors do not receive anything for referring you to any of these services.
  • As a 1L in the JD/LLB program the study guides you would get in 1st year from these companies will only be mildly helpful since the bulk of your 1L courses deal with Canadian law. So, the "freebies" portion above really is not as applicable until 2nd year.
  • You may not know the state in which you are planning to work. That's OK, I waited until 2nd year to sign up for a course once i found out that I would be headed to NY post-grad.
  • There are discounts on top of any early-bird sign ups for ABA Student Members, so get that membership.
RW

No comments: