Monday, August 13, 2007

A clarification and more tips!

Just to clarify, I know I said I would be publishing at least one tip a day from last week until Labour Day, what I meant to say was every weekday. So just so you don't think I have abandoned this blog, I will only be publishing on weekdays for the most part.

TIP A DAY #7

Books to read before starting, or in the first few weeks:

  • Acing Your First Year of Law School, by Shana & Henry Noyes: This is a short book, a very easy read. It is written by two American attorneys, and it is directed at the U.S. Law School experience, but it is still very applicable to the Canadian experience, and definitely applicable to the experience students will have in the JD/LLB program. Provides many helpful tips and reminders, many of them common sense, but sometimes hearing it again and again does help to instill good habits.

  • OneL, by Scott Turow: Another quick read, again written from the perspective of a 1L at a U.S. Law School this time in 1975. Surprisingly though, I found it to be an insightful peak behind the doors before I started. The book is a collection of the author's journal notes from his first year at Harvard Law School, and it is amazing the similarities in what the author endures in his first year and our own experience.

  • When I searched Amazon.com for these titles, there were a number of other books that turned up as "Customers also bought", but I have no experience with these other titles. I am sure they are good and helpful but I can't personally make any recommendations.

  • It might be worth picking up a "Canadian" Tips for Law School book, I did not, but I have heard a few were helpful to some of my classmates.
Well that's all for today, enjoy preparing. I am going to the beach.

No comments: